Tuesday, September 15, 2026

The Dangerous Idol of "Safety"

Piggy-backing off of my last post about 9/11, I wanted to revisit an old topic - one that I've written about before and which I believe has some potential to be a 'history-repeating-itself' type thing in the very near future. The context for previous writing on this topic was COVID. At that time, as most of us remember, there was a big, scary new virus on the scene and so, as governments do, the government stepped in with a bunch of ideas, which soon became more than just ideas, about how to slow the spread. First it was the '15 days to slow the spread' lockdowns, along with masking and social-distancing guidelines, which turned into labels of 'essential' and 'non-essential'...and which led to the closure of many businesses. Then, as a vaccine was developed, they started with strong recommendations to 'get vaxxed' and continue to get new vaccinations against new variants, etc. Then pretty soon we had vaccine cards, and suddenly employment was tied to vaccination status (for some). All this was done in the name of 'safety' and while I'm sure that some of these measures saved some lives, they undoubtably also took lives. For example - how many people who had life-threatening illnesses and who were hospitalized ended up dying because no immediate family was allowed to come and sit with them? How many people, facing isolation because of government safety recommendations, or seeing their entire life's work crumble like a house of cards because their business was labeled 'non-essential', ended up deciding to end their own lives? This is what I mean when I say that these measures ended up taking lives.

9/11, in some ways, was a pre-cursor to COVID. When I read about the failures of national law enforcement that allowed known-Terrorists to walk free in our country for months before 9/11, it makes my blood boil. I'm sure that efforts have been made to address the utter lack of communication between national and local law enforcement that is largely to blame for 9/11, but look at what else that Day has cost us, not only here in the United States, but around the World. When I was a kid, my dad liked airplanes and my brother, sister and I also liked airplanes and so occasionally we would go to the local International airport, and walk all the way up to the gates and watch planes taxi, takeoff, land, etc. I think there was some minimal security, but you didn't have to have a ticket and you didn't have to put your stuff on conveyor belt to be x-rayed, take off your shoes/belt, show your ID, etc to go to the gates. In fact, it was common practice that if someone was leaving for a long trip or coming home from being gone, you could not only see them off at the gate, but you could also greet them at the gate, as soon as they came off the jetway....and yet, none of us really even question this anymore. How many billions have been spent on TSA and how many hijackings have they stopped? How many would-be terror incidents have been halted by all of this needless 'security'? The answer is very little (if any)...but really, that's not the point, is it? All of this security likely wouldn't have stopped 9/11 if it were to happen today - sure the terrorists would have to have gotten a little more creative, but they were carrying box-cutters and small knives, not guns, and definitely not bombs. They wouldn't have set off most security measures in place even today. The only security measure now in place that would have stopped them if it had been in place then, is that now, cockpit doors are closed and locked from the inside. That's it. And yet we have the whole dog and pony show we've all been participating in for the past 25 years...and why? Because our country worships at the altar of the God of Safety and Security.

Safety and Security is the same mechanism that allowed the government to mandate anything during COVID. COVID, as it turns out (and this was known mere months after COVID started) has a mortality rate of "well below 0.1%", which you can find on the National Institutes of Health website. For healthy people, it was well below 0.01%. I will give some officials the benefit of the doubt for early COVID health recommendations because they didn't know what they were dealing with, but for people to not be able to visit dying loved ones, to have their businesses closed, or to lose their jobs over a virus with that low of a mortality rate, over a year into the pandemic, is completely unacceptable. As you can see, I have no shortage of thoughts on this. I digress.

The way I see this coming back around is with AI. Every couple of months now, I see some article hyperventilating about how 'AI is becoming sentient' and starting to build itself and "oh, should we just unplug it" and "is what we're doing responsible", etc. Maybe those concerns are well-founded, I honestly don't know enough about it to have a well-formed opinion on it...but what I do know is that nefarious aspects of human government (i.e. Satan and his minions) are looking for another crisis to exploit. They are looking for a way to step in as the representatives of 'safety', ready to protect the people from the AI agent-smiths out there.

I'll shout it from the rooftops until the rooftop I'm standing on falls and I die...you are not safe, there is no such thing as safety and you are not guaranteed long life, much less tomorrow. The pursuit of safety, when it goes against our Biblical mandate to be the light of Life in this world, to serve those around us, and to spread the message of Truth, is sinful. Look at Jesus if you need an example. He didn't flee to safety, thankfully, to save himself from pain, loss and ultimately, death, because He cared for us. He cared more about being obedient to the Father than about being safe. I'm going to resist the urge to equivocate because I think that whoever reads this is smart enough to know what I'm not saying.

We have a systemic issue in modern culture and the issue is that we have an aversion to thinking about Death. Because of that refusal to grapple with death, we start to convince ourselves that maybe we can push death off...or prevent death from happening. We also start confusing imagined issues with real issues. Take gun control for example. Guns are not the problem -- people using guns to kill other people is the problem, and yet some people want to pretend that if we got rid of all of the guns (which, lol) that people would stop dying. It's just like how we pretend that by putting security in every airport, we can stop something bad from happening...so far, nothing bad has happened - but it very well could, and likely will at some point. It's just like how we rarely, if ever, think about the fact that most of the entire planet could be obliterated by nuclear weapons 45-minutes from now (hat tip to Annie Jacobsen's book "Nuclear War: A Scenario"). You could die in the next car ride or walk you take - you could be diagnosed with a fatal illness next week, you could choke on a piece of your next meal...you are not safe. There's no such thing.

Safety is the shackles that will be used to control humanity - and I shudder to think what that means for the end of Days. I've been reading Zechariah lately...a book very much about the ends of Days...and it's not pretty (Zechariah 14, but really, it's all over the book). It's definitely not safe. How will the antichrist cause the great Apostasy (2 Thessalonians 2)? Probably by convincing people he can keep them safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dangerous Idol of "Safety"

Piggy-backing off of my last post about 9/11, I wanted to revisit an old topic - one that I've written about before and which I believe ...